Friday, August 1, 2014

New Adventures

They say distance makes the heart grow fonder! The last year has been quite a journey for our little family. Our baby puppy girl Lacey, or as some of you may fondly know her, "our human child with a fur disorder," and I spent last summer shuttling between Charlottesville, VA and Alexandria, VA each week. Starting in September, Lacey moved in full time with Peter in CVille, while I continued to hit the road each week, not to mention shacking up with his twin Andy and fiancee Hillary. Sound insane? Perhaps not the most conventional marriage for a year, but for us it worked. After completing a Masters in Clinical Psychology and a second Masters in Public Health, Peter knew his educational journey was not over. His dream to become a physician to better tackle the health issues he is so passionate about was something that could no longer be ignored. This is what brought us to beautiful Charlottesville. He completed a Post Bacc Pre Medical Program at UVA, while I split my time between CVille and my office in Northern Virginia. Through all of the miles, chaos, and stress, we both wanted to start growing our family. 

I think Peter had a gut feeling that our hope to grow our family had come to fruition. The week leading up to our final move he kept asking me if I was pregnant. Since I already had some tests at my weekend home (I started referring to Charlottesville as my weekend vacation home), I figured no harm in waiting a few more days. We had to drive down one last time to finish packing before the final drive north. The next morning, Lacey insisted on getting me up as usual, so I stumbled out of bed to take her out. Then I remembered! I went to the bathroom, took a pregnancy test, and popped outside with Lacey. When I returned, I was pretty sure I saw two lines (wish I would have kept a digital test on hand)! Peter was still sleeping, so I tapped him to wake him up. As he peered out one eye, I said, "I think I am pregnant." 

No comments:

Post a Comment